Friday, November 20, 2009

Shane Bond welcomes recall surprise



Shane Bond says it's been a case of taking it "one step at a time" since returning from exile following his stint with the ICL.

The fast bowler has already made his return for New Zealand in the limited-overs arena but is poised to don the whites again for his country for the first time in two years next week when the Black Caps take on Pakistan in the first of three Tests.

Bond's last Test match against South Africa in Johannesburg in 2007 was cut short when he broke down injured and then his decision to join the ICL forced him into international exile.

"To get back into the Test arena and hopefully get another chance to play a Test is something I never thought would happen. I'm delighted," the 34-year-old told Press Association Sport.

"I didn't really think I'd get another opportunity to play for New Zealand so once the India stuff finished and I made myself available again I've never really wanted to get too far ahead of myself.

"I just wanted to play and work hard and see what happened.

"Now that I've been back it's gone really fast and things have gone really well. I've just got to keep doing those things I've been doing and hopefully the season continues on in the same vein."

Bond made his international comeback in the Twenty20 and one-day component of the tour to Sri Lanka in September.

Since then he has been involved in the Champions Trophy and the recent one-day series win over Pakistan played in the United Arab Emirates but he has always indicated he wanted to be involved in all three forms of the game.

"I've been taking it one step at a time," he said.

"But in saying that, even in Dubai I was trying to bowl more overs and doing batting more accustomed to four-day cricket in preparation in case I got picked so I'm pleased I've done that hard work."

His efforts have paid off and his place in New Zealand's 13-man squad was assured when he came through Canterbury's four-day Plunket Shield match against Otago taking six for 148 off 40 overs - his first four-day game since June last year.

"It's been good preparation. I suppose for your own peace of mind you want to get out and play a four-day game and bowl plenty of overs," he said.

"To get through 40 overs on a pretty flat wicket - I felt like I bowled pretty well and chipped a few wickets out as well.

"Now going to the Test match I know I've had that good body of work behind me and I'm pretty confident about where things are for me and I'm looking forward to the next game."

Bond and 34-year-old Chris Martin look likely to share the new ball at the University Oval in Dunedin, where the first Test starts on Tuesday.

That leaves Iain O'Brien, 33, and Bond's fellow ICL Twenty20 rebel Daryl Tuffey, 31, to battle it out for the spare berth - as they did in Sri Lanka in August.

The last of Tuffey's 22 Test matches was against England in June 2004 and while O'Brien is the incumbent, Tuffey's track record against Pakistan of 24 wickets in six Tests at 26.50 could be enough to give him the nod.

0 comments:

Post a Comment